You are here

Historic Federal Courthouses

Descriptions

Displaying 251 - 300 of 581

Download TIFF
Biloxi, Mississippi (1908)

U.S. Post Office, Court House, and Custom House (1908)
Completed in 1908.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi met here until 1959; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Mississippi met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now Biloxi City Hall.


Download TIFF
Biloxi, Mississippi (1959)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1959)
Completed in 1959.
Architects: James T. Canizaro and John T. Collins
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi.
Fate of building unknown.


Download TIFF
Clarksdale, Mississippi (1916)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1916)
Completed in 1916.
Supervising Architect: Oscar Wenderoth
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi met here until 1964.
Razed in 1968.


Download TIFF
Clarksdale, Mississippi (1964)

Federal Building (1964)
Completed in 1964.
Architect: Pritchard & Nichols
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi met here until 1997.
Fate of building unknown.


Download TIFF
Greenville, Mississippi (1960)

Federal Building (1960)
Completed in 1960.
Architect: Hall & Norwood
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi.


Download TIFF
Hattiesburg, Mississippi (1911)

U.S. Court House (1939)
Completed in 1911.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1939.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi beginning in 1936.
Now the Forrest County Courthouse Building.


Download TIFF
Jackson, Mississippi (1885)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1885.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi met here until 1933; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Mississippi met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1933.


Download TIFF
Jackson, Mississippi (1934)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1934)
Completed in 1934.
Architect: Hull & Malvaney
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi met here from 1935 until 2011, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit met here from 1981 until 2011.
Renamed the James Eastland Federal Building in 1984.
As of December 2011, the fate of the building had not been determined.


Download TIFF
Meridian, Mississippi (1898)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1900)
Completed in 1898.
Supervising Architect: William Martin Aiken
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi met here until 1933; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Mississippi met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed sometime before 1950.


Download TIFF
Meridian, Mississippi (1933)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1933)
Completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi.


Download TIFF
Oxford, Mississippi (1887)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1930)
Completed in 1887.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
Extension completed in 1936.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi met here until ca. 1974.
Now Oxford City Hall.


Download TIFF
Oxford, Mississippi (1887)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1930)
Completed in 1887.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
Extension completed in 1936.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi met here until ca. 1974.
Now Oxford City Hall.


Download TIFF
Vicksburg, Mississippi (1892)

U.S. Court House, Post Office and Custom House (1900)
Completed in 1892.
Supervising Architects: James H. Windrim and Willoughby J. Edbrooke
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi met here until 1937; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Mississippi met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now in use by the Mississippi River Commission.


Download TIFF
Vicksburg, Mississippi (1937)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1937)
Completed in 1937.
Architect: Claude H. Lindsley
Used by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi until 2013.
Now privately owned.


Download TIFF
Chillicothe, Missouri (1917)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1917)
Completed in 1917.
Supervising Architects: James Knox Taylor, Oscar Wenderoth, and James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until 1962.
Now the Livingston County Library.


Download TIFF
Hannibal, Missouri (1888)

U.S. Post Office (1884)
Completed in 1888.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri met here until 1960; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Missouri met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now owned by the city.


Download TIFF
Jefferson City, Missouri (1889)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1885)
Completed in 1889.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until 1934; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1972.


Download TIFF
Jefferson City, Missouri (1934)

United States Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1934)
Completed in 1934.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri met here from 1934 until 2011.
The building is still in use as a U.S. Post Office.


Download TIFF
Joplin, Missouri (1904)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1904)
Completed in 1904.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until 1999; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now a public office building.


Download TIFF
Kansas City, Missouri (1885)

U.S. Custom House (1879)
Completed in 1885.
Supervising Architect: James G. Hill
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until 1900; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until 1900.
Razed in 1930.


Download TIFF
Kansas City, Missouri (1900)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1900)
Completed in 1900.
Supervising Architect: Willoughby J. Edbrooke
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until 1938; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1938.


Download TIFF
Kansas City, Missouri (1939)

United States Court House and Post Office (1939)
Completed in 1939.
Architect: Wight & Wight
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until 1998.
Now in use as an apartment building.


Download TIFF
Saint Joseph, Missouri (1891)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1891)
Completed in 1891.
Supervising Architects: James G. Hill and Mifflin E. Bell
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until 1939; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1939.


Download TIFF
Saint Joseph, Missouri (1940)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1940)
Completed in 1940.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until 1998.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Saint Louis, Missouri (1884)

U.S. Custom House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1900)
Completed in 1884.
Supervising Architects: Alfred B. Mullett, William Appleton Potter, and James G. Hill
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri met here until 1935; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Missouri met here until that court was abolished in 1912; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit met here from 1891 until 1935.
Now a mixed-use facility serving federal and private purposes.


Download TIFF
Saint Louis, Missouri (1935)

United States Court House and Custom House (1935)
Completed in 1935.
Architect: Mauran, Russell & Crowell
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri met here until 2001; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit met here until 2000.
Now in use by state courts.


Download TIFF
Springfield, Missouri (1894)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1894.
Supervising Architects: Will. A. Freret and James H. Windrim
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until 1938; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now in use by city agencies.


Download TIFF
Springfield, Missouri (1938)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1938)
Completed in 1938.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri met here until 1988.
Now Springfield City Hall.


Download TIFF
Billings, Montana (1914)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1914)
Completed in 1914.
Supervising Architects: James Knox Taylor and Oscar Wenderoth
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Montana.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Butte, Montana (1904)

U.S. Post Office (1933)
Completed in 1904.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Montana; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Montana met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Renamed the Mike Mansfield Federal Building and United States Courthouse in 2002.


Download TIFF
Glasgow, Montana (1939)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1939)
Completed in 1939.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Montana.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Great Falls, Montana (1912)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1938)
Completed in 1912.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1938.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Montana.


Download TIFF
Havre, Montana (1932)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1932)
Completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Montana.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Helena, Montana (1904)

Public Building (n.d.)
Completed in 1904.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the District of Montana met here until the late 1970s; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Montana met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Still in use by the city and county governments.


Download TIFF
Missoula, Montana (1913)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1913)
Completed in 1913.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Montana, which began meeting here in 1929.


Download TIFF
Chadron, Nebraska (1919)

U.S. Post Office (1919)
Completed in 1919.
Supervising Architects: Oscar Wenderoth and James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska met here until 1955.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Grand Island, Nebraska (1910)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1936)
Completed in 1910.
Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1936.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska met here until 1955; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Nebraska met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Hastings, Nebraska (1905)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1905)
Completed in 1905.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska met here from 1907 until 1955; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Nebraska met here from 1907 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in the 1970s.


Download TIFF
Lincoln, Nebraska (1879)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1879.
Supervising Architects: Alfred B. Mullett and William Appleton Potter
The U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska met here until 1906; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Nebraska met here until 1906.
Now in use by city agencies.


Download TIFF
Lincoln, Nebraska (1906)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1906; 1941; 1941)
Completed in 1906.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1941.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska met here until 1969; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Nebraska met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now a mixed-use facility.


Download TIFF
Lincoln, Nebraska (1906)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1906; 1941; 1941)
Completed in 1906.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1941.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska met here until 1969; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Nebraska met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now a mixed-use facility.


Download TIFF
Lincoln, Nebraska (1906)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1906; 1941; 1941)
Completed in 1906.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1941.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska met here until 1969; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Nebraska met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now a mixed-use facility.


Download TIFF
McCook, Nebraska (1916)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1916)
Completed in 1916.
Supervising Architects: James Knox Taylor, Oscar Wenderoth, and James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska met here until 1955.
Now privately owned.


Download TIFF
Norfolk, Nebraska (1904)

U.S. Post Office (1932)
Completed in 1904.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska met here from 1907 until 1955; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Nebraska met here from 1907 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now privately owned.


Download TIFF
North Platte, Nebraska (1913)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1912)
Completed in 1913.
Supervising Architects: James Knox Taylor and Oscar Wenderoth
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska.
Still standing but not presently in use.


Download TIFF
Omaha, Nebraska (1899)

U.S. Court House, Custom House and Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1899.
Supervising Architects: Willoughby J. Edbrooke, Jeremiah O'Rourke, William Martin Aiken, and James Knox Taylor
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Nebraska met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in the mid-1960s.


Download TIFF
Omaha, Nebraska (1933)

Federal Office Building (1934)
Completed in 1933.
Architect: Kimball, Steele & Sandham and George B. Prinz
The U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska met here until the late 1950s or early 1960s.
Still in use by the federal government.


Download TIFF
Carson City, Nevada (1891)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1891.
Supervising Architects: Mifflin E. Bell, Will. A. Freret, and James H. Windrim
The U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada met here until 1965; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Nevada met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now in use by the Nevada Commission on Tourism and renamed the Paul Laxalt State Building in 1999.


Download TIFF
Las Vegas, Nevada (1933)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1933)
Completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada met here until 1967.
Now designated by the city as a cultural center.


Download TIFF
Reno, Nevada (1965)

Federal Building and United States Court House (1965)
Completed in 1965.
Architect: Lockard, Casazza, Parsons & Associates
Still in use by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Nevada.
Renamed the C. Clifton Young Federal Building and United States Courthouse in 1988.

Pages