You are here

Historic Federal Courthouses

Descriptions

Displaying 1 - 50 of 582

Download TIFF
Anniston, Alabama (1906)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1906; 1935)
Completed in 1906.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1934.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Alabama met here until that court was abolished in 1912.


Download TIFF
Anniston, Alabama (1906)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1906; 1935)
Completed in 1906.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1934.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Alabama met here until that court was abolished in 1912.


Download TIFF
Birmingham, Alabama (1893)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1892)
Completed in 1893.
Supervising Architect: Will. A. Freret
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama met here until 1921; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Alabama met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in the early twentieth century.


Download TIFF
Birmingham, Alabama (1921)

Federal Building and U.S. Court House (1976)
Completed in 1921.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama.
Renamed the Robert S. Vance Federal Building and United States Courthouse in 1990.


Download TIFF
Dothan, Alabama (1911)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1911)
Completed in 1911.
Supervising Architect: Oscar Wenderoth
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Middle District of Alabama met here until that court was abolished in 1912.


Download TIFF
Florence, Alabama (1913)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1913)
Completed in 1913.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
Renamed the John McKinley Federal Building in 1998.


Download TIFF
Gadsden, Alabama (1910)

U.S. Post Office (n.d, ca. 1910; n.d., ca. 1915; 1937)
Completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
First extension completed in 1915.
Supervising Architect of first extension: Oscar Wenderoth
Second extension completed in 1937.
Supervising Architect of second extension: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama met here until 2012; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Alabama met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Sold for private use in 2017.


Download TIFF
Gadsden, Alabama (1910)

U.S. Post Office (n.d, ca. 1910; n.d., ca. 1915; 1937)
Completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
First extension completed in 1915.
Supervising Architect of first extension: Oscar Wenderoth
Second extension completed in 1937.
Supervising Architect of second extension: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama met here until 2012; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Alabama met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Sold for private use in 2017.


Download TIFF
Gadsden, Alabama (1910)

U.S. Post Office (n.d, ca. 1910; n.d., ca. 1915; 1937)
Completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
First extension completed in 1915.
Supervising Architect of first extension: Oscar Wenderoth
Second extension completed in 1937.
Supervising Architect of second extension: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama met here until 2012; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Alabama met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Sold for private use in 2017.


Download TIFF
Huntsville, Alabama (1890)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1900)
Completed in 1890.
Supervising Architect: Will. A. Freret
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama met here until 1936; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Alabama met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1954.


Download TIFF
Huntsville, Alabama (1936)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1936)
Completed in 1936.
Architects: Edgar Love; Miller, Martin & Lewis
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama.


Download TIFF
Mobile, Alabama (1856)

U.S. Custom House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1856.
Supervising Architect: Ammi B. Young
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama met here until 1934; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Alabama met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1963.


Download TIFF
Mobile, Alabama (1934)

U.S. Court House and Custom House (1935)
Completed in 1934.
Architects: Carey & Dowling
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama.
Renamed the John Archibald Campbell United States Courthouse in 1981.


Download TIFF
Montgomery, Alabama (1885)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1885.
Supervising Architect: James G. Hill
The U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama met here until 1933; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Middle District of Alabama met here until that court was abolished in 1912; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit met here from 1903 until 1933.
Razed in 1962.


Download TIFF
Montgomery, Alabama (1933)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1933)
Completed in 1933.
Architect: Frank Lockwood
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit met here until the creation of the Eleventh Circuit in 1981.
Renamed the Frank M. Johnson, Jr., Federal Building and United States Courthouse in 1992.


Download TIFF
Opelika, Alabama (1918)

U.S. Post Office (1918)
Completed in 1918.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama.
Renamed the George W. Andrews Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse in 1968.


Download TIFF
Selma, Alabama (1909)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1909)
Completed in 1909.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Alabama met here until that court was abolished in 1912.


Download TIFF
Tuscaloosa, Alabama (1910)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1910)
Completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama.
Now in use by the city government.


Download TIFF
Anchorage, Alaska (1940)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1941)
Completed in 1940.
Architect: Gilbert Stanley Underwood
The U.S. District Court for the District of Alaska met here from 1958 until 1979.
Still in use by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Alaska and several federal agencies.


Download TIFF
Fairbanks, Alaska (1933)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1933)
Completed in 1933.
Architect: George Ray
The U.S. District Court for the District of Alaska met here from 1958 until 1977.
Now privately owned.


Download TIFF
Juneau, Alaska (1966)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1965)
Completed in 1966.
Architects: Olson & Sands
Renamed the Robert Boochever United States Courthouse in 2012. Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Alaska.


Download TIFF
Ketchikan, Alaska (1938)

Federal Building (1938)
Completed in 1938.
Architect: Garfield, Stanley-Brown, Harris & Robinson
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Alaska.


Download TIFF
Globe, Arizona (1928)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1928)
Completed in 1928.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Phoenix, Arizona (1913)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1913)
Completed in 1913.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona met here until 1961.
Razed in 1961.


Download TIFF
Phoenix, Arizona (1961)

Federal Building (1961)
Completed in 1961.
Architect: Lescher & Mahony
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona.


Download TIFF
Prescott, Arizona (1931)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1931)
Completed in 1931.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona.


Download TIFF
Tucson, Arizona (1930)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1931)
Completed in 1930.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Arizona.
Renamed the James A. Walsh United States Courthouse in 1985.


Download TIFF
Batesville, Arkansas (1907)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1907)
Completed in 1907.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas met here until that court was abolished in 1912.


Download TIFF
El Dorado, Arkansas (1931)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1931)
Completed in 1931.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas.


Download TIFF
Fort Smith, Arkansas (1889)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901; n.d., ca. 1917)
Completed in 1889.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
Completed in 1904.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas met here until 1936; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Arkansas met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1936.


Download TIFF
Fort Smith, Arkansas (1889)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901; n.d., ca. 1917)
Completed in 1889.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
Completed in 1904.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas met here until 1936; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Arkansas met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1936.


Download TIFF
Fort Smith, Arkansas (1936)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1937)
Completed in 1936.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas.
Renamed the Judge Isaac C. Parker Federal Building in 1996.


Download TIFF
Harrison, Arkansas (1906)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1906)
Completed in 1906.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Arkansas met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now in use by Boone County.


Download TIFF
Helena, Arkansas (1893)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1893.
Supervising Architect: Will. A. Freret
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas met here until 1961; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Fate of building unknown.


Download TIFF
Hot Springs, Arkansas (1960)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1960)
Completed in 1960.
Architect: Wittenburg, Delony & Davidson
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas.


Download TIFF
Jonesboro, Arkansas (1913)

U.S. Post Office (1934)
Completed in 1913.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1934
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas.
Still standing but not presently in use.


Download TIFF
Little Rock, Arkansas (1881)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1881)
Completed in 1881.
Supervising Architect: James G. Hill
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas met here until 1932; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Since 1997, the building has been used by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court.


Download TIFF
Little Rock, Arkansas (1932)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1932)
Completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas.
Renamed the Richard Sheppard Arnold United States Courthouse in 2003.


Download TIFF
Texarkana, Arkansas (1892)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1889; 1901)
Completed in 1892.
Supervising Architect: Willoughby J. Edbrooke
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas met here until the 1897 reorganization of the Arkansas judicial districts; the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas met here from 1897 until 1930; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas met here until the 1897 reorganization of the Arkansas judicial districts; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Arkansas met here from 1897 until that court was abolished in 1912; the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas met here from 1903 until 1911; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Texas met here from 1903 until 1911.
Razed in 1930.


Download TIFF
Texarkana, Arkansas (1892)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1889; 1901)
Completed in 1892.
Supervising Architect: Willoughby J. Edbrooke
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas met here until the 1897 reorganization of the Arkansas judicial districts; the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas met here from 1897 until 1930; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas met here until the 1897 reorganization of the Arkansas judicial districts; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Arkansas met here from 1897 until that court was abolished in 1912; the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas met here from 1903 until 1911; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Texas met here from 1903 until 1911.
Razed in 1930.


Download TIFF
Texarkana, Arkansas (1933)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1933)
Completed in 1933.
Architect: Witt, Seibert & Halsey in association with Perkins, Chatten & Hammond
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.


Download TIFF
Eureka, California (1910)

U.S. Post Office and Custom House (1911)
Completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of California met here until that court was abolished in 1912.


Download TIFF
Fresno, California (1908)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1908)
Completed in 1908.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California met here until 1940; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of California met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1940.


Download TIFF
Fresno, California (1940)

United States Post Office and Court House (1940)
Completed in 1940.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California met here until 1966.
Still in use as a post office and the main offices of the Fresno Unified School District.


Download TIFF
Los Angeles, California (1892)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1901)
Completed in 1892.
Supervising Architect: Will. A. Freret
The U.S. District for the Southern District of California met here until ca. 1910; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of California met here until ca. 1910.
Razed.


Download TIFF
Los Angeles, California (1910)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1910)
Completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California met here until 1937; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of California met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1937.


Download TIFF
Los Angeles, California (1940)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1940)
Completed in 1940.
Architect: Gilbert Stanley Underwood
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California; the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California met here from 1940 until 1966.


Download TIFF
Pasadena, California (1931)

Richard H. Chambers United States Court of Appeals Building (n.d.)
Completed in 1931.
Architects: Sylvanus Marston and Myron Hunt
Still in use by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, which began meeting here in 1985.
Formerly the Vista del Arroyo Hotel; renamed the Richard H. Chambers United States Court of Appeals Building in 1992.


Download TIFF
Sacramento, California (1894)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1901)
Completed in 1894.
Supervising Architect: James H. Windrim
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California met here until 1933.
Razed in 1966.


Download TIFF
Sacramento, California (1933)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1938)
Completed in 1933.
Architect: Starks & Flanders
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California met here until the creation of the Eastern District in 1966.

Pages