Dr. Amy Janes, assistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, provides a general introduction to the brain networks affected by substance abuse disorders. The following questions are addressed:
- What is addiction?
- What is the reward circuit in the brain, and how is it affected by addiction?
- What are the underlying brain mechanisms involved in tolerance, withdrawal, and the cycle of substance abuse?
- How does the brain change with repeated substance abuse?
- to understand how addiction is defined and how certain brain pathways are changed by substance use disorders
- to understand how changes in the brain related to substance abuse can present challenges to treatment
To learn more about Dr. Janes, click here.