You are here

Historic Federal Courthouses

Descriptions

Displaying 201 - 250 of 581

Download TIFF
Alexandria, Louisiana (1896)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1900)
Completed in 1896.
Supervising Architects: Willoughby J. Edbrooke, Jeremiah O'Rourke, and William Martin Aiken
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana met here until 1933; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Louisiana met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1933.


Download TIFF
Alexandria, Louisiana (1933)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1933)
Completed in 1933.
Architect: Edward F. Neild
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana.


Download TIFF
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (1897)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1897)
Completed in 1897.
Supervising Architects: Willoughby J. Edbrooke, Jeremiah O'Rourke, and William Martin Aiken
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana met here until 1933; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now the City Club of Baton Rouge.


Download TIFF
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (1933)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1933)
Completed in 1933.
Architect: Moise Goldstein
Still in use by U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Louisiana; the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana met here until the creation of the Middle District in 1972.


Download TIFF
Lake Charles, Louisiana (1912)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1912)
Completed in 1912.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana met here until 1959 or 1960.
Now privately owned.


Download TIFF
Lake Charles, Louisiana (1960)

U.S. Post Office and Federal Building (1960)
Completed in 1960.
Architect: Dunn Quinn
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana met here until 1994.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Monroe, Louisiana (1892)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1892.
Supervising Architects: James H. Windrim and Willoughby J. Edbrooke
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana met here until 1933; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Louisiana met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1965.


Download TIFF
Monroe, Louisiana (1934)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1933)
Completed in 1934.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana.


Download TIFF
New Orleans, Louisiana (1860)

U.S. Custom House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1860.
Architect: Alexander Thompson Wood
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana met here until 1915; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana met here until that court was abolished in 1912; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit met here from 1891 until 1915.
Now the Audubon Nature Institute.


Download TIFF
New Orleans, Louisiana (1915)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1915)
Completed in 1915.
Architect: James Gamble Rogers
Still in use by U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit; the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana met here until 1963.
Renamed the John Minor Wisdom United States Court of Appeals Building in 1994.


Download TIFF
Opelousas, Louisiana (1891)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901; 1933)
Completed in 1891.
Architect: Jeremiah O'Rourke
Extension completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana met here until 1967; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Louisiana met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now privately owned.


Download TIFF
Opelousas, Louisiana (1891)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901; 1933)
Completed in 1891.
Architect: Jeremiah O'Rourke
Extension completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana met here until 1967; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Louisiana met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now privately owned.


Download TIFF
Shreveport, Louisiana (1887)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1900)
Completed in 1887.
Architect: N.S. Allen
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana met here until 1910; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Louisiana met here until 1910.
Razed in 1910.


Download TIFF
Shreveport, Louisiana (1912)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1912; 1932)
Completed in 1912.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1931.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana met here until 1974.
Now the Shreve Memorial Library.


Download TIFF
Shreveport, Louisiana (1912)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1912; 1932)
Completed in 1912.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1931.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana met here until 1974.
Now the Shreve Memorial Library.


Download TIFF
Bangor, Maine (1855)

U.S. Custom House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1855.
Supervising Architect: Ammi B. Young
The U.S. District Court for the District of Maine met here until 1911.
Destroyed in the Great Fire of 1911.


Download TIFF
Bangor, Maine (1915)

U.S. Post Office (1915)
Completed in 1915.
Supervising Architect: Oscar Wenderoth
The U.S. District Court for the District of Maine met here until 1968.
Now Bangor City Hall.


Download TIFF
Portland, Maine (1873)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d.)
Completed in 1873.
Supervising Architect: Alfred B. Mullett
The U.S. District Court for the District of Maine met here until 1905; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Maine met here until 1905.
Razed in 1965.


Download TIFF
Portland, Maine (1911)

U.S. Court House (1911)
Completed in 1911.
Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Maine.
Renamed the Edward Thaxter Gignoux United States Courthouse in 1988.


Download TIFF
Baltimore, Maryland (1864)

U.S. Court House (1901)
Completed in 1864.
Supervising Architects: Ammi B. Young and Isaiah Rogers
The U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland met here until early the 1890s; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Maryland met here until the early 1890s.
Razed in 1930.


Download TIFF
Baltimore, Maryland (1890)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1910)
Completed in 1890.
Architect: James G. Hill
Extension completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect of extension: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland met here until 1930; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Maryland met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1930.


Download TIFF
Baltimore, Maryland (1932)

U.S. Post Office (1932)
Completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland met here until 1976.
Now in use by the Baltimore city courts and known as Courthouse East.


Download TIFF
Cumberland, Maryland (1904)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1904)
Completed in 1904.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland met here until 1933; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Maryland met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now in use by the city and known as the Public Safety Building.


Download TIFF
Cumberland, Maryland (1933)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1933)
Completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.
Now in use by the Maryland state courts and known as the William Donald Schaffer Building.


Download TIFF
Boston, Massachusetts (1885)

U.S. Post Office and Subtreasury (n.d., ca. 1885)
Completed in 1885.
Supervising Architect: Alfred B. Mullett
The U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts met here from 1883, prior to completion, until 1929; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Massachusetts met here from 1883, prior to completion, until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1929.


Download TIFF
Springfield, Massachusetts (1932)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1932)
Completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts met here until 1983.
Now in use by the state government.


Download TIFF
Worcester, Massachusetts (1897)

U.S. Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1897.
Supervising Architects: Willoughby J. Edbrooke, Jeremiah O'Rourke, Charles E. Kemper, and William Martin Aiken
The U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts met here from 1926 until 1930.
Razed ca. 1930.


Download TIFF
Worcester, Massachusetts (1932)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1932)
Completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
Renamed the Harold D. Donohue Federal Building in 1987.


Download TIFF
Bay City, Michigan (1893)

U.S. Court House, Post Office, and Custom House (n.d., ca. 1893)
Completed in 1893.
Supervising Architect: James H. Windrim
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan met here until 1931; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Michigan met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1931.


Download TIFF
Bay City, Michigan (1933)

U.S. Post Office, Court House, and Custom House (1932)
Completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.


Download TIFF
Detroit, Michigan (1897)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1897.
Architect: James H. Windrim
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan met here until 1931; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Michigan met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1931.


Download TIFF
Detroit, Michigan (1934)

U.S. Post Office, Court House, and Custom House (1934)
Completed in 1934.
Architect: Robert O. Derrick
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Renamed the Theodore Levin United States Courthouse in 1994.


Download TIFF
Grand Rapids, Michigan (1879)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1879.
Supervising Architect: James G. Hill
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan met here until 1909; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Michigan met here until 1909.
Razed in 1909.


Download TIFF
Grand Rapids, Michigan (1911)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1910)
Completed in 1911.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan met here until 1972; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Michigan met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now the Grand Rapids Art Museum.


Download TIFF
Kalamazoo, Michigan (1939)

Federal Building, United States Post Office and Courthouse (n.d.)
Completed in 1939.
Architect: Stapert, Pratt, Bulthuns, Sprau & Croth
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan, which began meeting here in 1954.


Download TIFF
Marquette, Michigan (1889)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1888)
Completed in 1889.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan met here until 1936; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Michigan met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1936.


Download TIFF
Marquette, Michigan (1937)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1937)
Completed in 1937.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan.


Download TIFF
Port Huron, Michigan (1877)

U.S. Custom House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1933)
Completed in 1877.
Supervising Architect: Alfred B. Mullett
Extension completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.


Download TIFF
Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan (1910)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1910)
Completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan met here from 1912 until 1941.
Now the River of History Museum.


Download TIFF
Duluth, Minnesota (1894)

U.S. Court House, Custom House, and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1900)
Completed in 1894.
Supervising Architects: Will. A. Freret and James H. Windrim
The U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota met here until 1929 or 1930; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Minnesota met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1929 or 1930.


Download TIFF
Duluth, Minnesota (1930)

U.S. Post Office, Court House, and Custom House (1930)
Completed in 1930.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota.


Download TIFF
Fergus Falls, Minnesota (1904)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1933)
Completed in 1904.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Minnesota met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Renamed Edward J. Devitt United States Courthouse and Federal Building in 2013.


Download TIFF
Mankato, Minnesota (1896)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1896.
Supervising Architect: William Martin Aiken
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Minnesota met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now in use by various federal agencies.


Download TIFF
Minneapolis, Minnesota (1889)

U.S. Post Office (1884)
Completed in 1889.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota beginning in 1890; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Minnesota met here from 1890 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Renamed the Federal Office Building and Custom House in 1915.
Razed in 1961.


Download TIFF
Saint Paul, Minnesota (1873)

U.S. Custom House (1901)
Completed in 1873.
Supervising Architect: Alfred B. Mullett
The U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota met here until 1900; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Minnesota met here until 1900.
Razed in 1939.


Download TIFF
Saint Paul, Minnesota (1910)

U.S. Post Office, Court House, and Custom House (n.d., ca. 1910)
Completed in 1910.
Architect: Willoughby J. Edbrooke
The U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota met here from 1900, prior to completion, until 1966 or 1967; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Minnesota met here from 1900, prior to completion, until that court was abolished in 1912; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit met here from 1902 until 1966 or 1967.
Now the Landmark Center.


Download TIFF
Winona, Minnesota (1891)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901; 1935)
Completed in 1891.
Supervising Architect: James H. Windrim
Extension completed in 1934.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Minnesota met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1963.


Download TIFF
Winona, Minnesota (1891)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901; 1935)
Completed in 1891.
Supervising Architect: James H. Windrim
Extension completed in 1934.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Minnesota met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1963.


Download TIFF
Aberdeen, Mississippi (1888)

United States Post Office and Court House (1901; 1932)
Completed in 1888.
Supervising Architects: Mifflin E. Bell and Will. A. Freret
Extension completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi met here until 1974.
Now the Monroe County Chancery Court.


Download TIFF
Aberdeen, Mississippi (1888)

United States Post Office and Court House (1901; 1932)
Completed in 1888.
Supervising Architects: Mifflin E. Bell and Will. A. Freret
Extension completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi met here until 1974.
Now the Monroe County Chancery Court.

Pages