You are here

Historic Federal Courthouses

Descriptions

Displaying 551 - 581 of 581

Download TIFF
Beckley, West Virginia (1933)

U.S. Courthouse and Federal Building (1991)
Completed in 1933.
Architects: S. H. Bridge and Alex B. Mahood
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District Court of West Virginia met here from 1961 until 1999.
Still in use by various federal agencies.


Download TIFF
Bluefield, West Virginia (1911)

Federal Building (n.d.)
Completed in 1911.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of West Virginia met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Renamed the Elizabeth Kee Federal Building in 1976.


Download TIFF
Charleston, West Virginia (1883)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1901)
Completed in 1883.
Supervising Architect: James G. Hill
The U.S. District Court for the District of West Virginia met here until the creation of the Southern District in 1901; the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia met here from 1901 until 1910; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of West Virginia met here from 1892 until the creation of the Southern District in 1901; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of West Virginia met here from 1901 until 1910.
Razed in 1910.


Download TIFF
Charleston, West Virginia (1911)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1914)
Completed in 1911.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia met here until 1965.
Now the Kanawha County Public Library.


Download TIFF
Charleston, West Virginia (1961)

U.S. Court House and Federal Office Building (1961)
Completed in 1961.
Architects: C.E. Silling & Associates; Greife & Daley
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia met here from 1965 until 1997.
Still in use by various federal agencies.


Download TIFF
Clarksburg, West Virginia (1888)

U.S. Courthouse and Post Office (1888)
Completed in 1888.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
The U.S. District Court for the District of West Virginia met here until the creation of the Northern District in 1901; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia met here from 1901 until 1932; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of West Virginia met here from 1892 until the creation of the Northern District in 1901; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of West Virginia met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Fate of building unknown.


Download TIFF
Clarksburg, West Virginia (1932)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1932)
Completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia.


Download TIFF
Elkins, West Virginia (1918)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1918)
Completed in 1918.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia met here until the 1970s.
Now Elkins City Hall.


Download TIFF
Huntington, West Virginia (1910)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1910)
Completed in 1910.
Architect: Parker & Thomas
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of West Virginia met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Renamed the Sidney L. Christie Federal Building in 1980.


Download TIFF
Martinsburg, West Virginia (1895)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1895.
Supervising Architect: Willoughby J. Edbrooke
The U.S. District Court for the District of West Virginia met here until the creation of the Northern District in 1901; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia met here from 1901 until 1961; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of West Virginia met here until the creation of the Northern District in 1901; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of West Virginia met here from 1901 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now in use as a community arts center.


Download TIFF
Parkersburg, West Virginia (1878)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1878)
Completed in 1878.
Supervising Architects: Alfred B. Mullett, William Appleton Potter, and James G. Hill
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia met here from 1907 until the 1960s; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of West Virginia met here until the creation of the Northern District in 1901; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of West Virginia met here from 1901 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in the 1960s.


Download TIFF
Wheeling, West Virginia (1860)

U.S. Custom House (1901)
Completed in 1860.
Supervising Architect: Ammi B. Young
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia met here until the establishment of federal courts in the State of West Virginia in 1864; the U.S. District Court for the District of West Virginia met here from 1864 until the creation of the Northern District in 1901; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia met here from 1901 until 1907; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of West Virginia met here from 1892 until the creation of the Northern District in 1901; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of West Virginia met here from 1901 until 1907.
Now in use as a museum and renamed West Virginia Independence Hall.


Download TIFF
Wheeling, West Virginia (1907)

U.S. Post Office, Court House, and Custom House (1907)
Completed in 1907.
Architect: Marsh & Peters
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of West Virginia met here until that court was abolished in 1912.


Download TIFF
Williamson, West Virginia (1928)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1928)
Completed in 1928.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia met here until 1936.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Eau Claire, Wisconsin (1909)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1935)
Completed in 1909.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1935.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Wisconsin met here until that court was abolished in 1912.


Download TIFF
Green Bay, Wisconsin (1909)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1909)
Completed in 1909.
Architect: German & Lignell
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin met here until the 1950s; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now owned by Brown County.


Download TIFF
La Crosse, Wisconsin (1890)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901; 1933)
Completed in 1890.
Supervising Architect: Will. A. Freret
Extension completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin met here until 1933; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Wisconsin met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in the 1970s or 1980s.


Download TIFF
La Crosse, Wisconsin (1890)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901; 1933)
Completed in 1890.
Supervising Architect: Will. A. Freret
Extension completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin met here until 1933; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Wisconsin met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in the 1970s or 1980s.


Download TIFF
Madison, Wisconsin (1871)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1871.
Supervising Architect: Alfred B. Mullett
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin met here until 1929; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Wisconsin met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1929.


Download TIFF
Madison, Wisconsin (1929)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1929)
Completed in 1929.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin met here from 1929 until 1985.
Now the Madison Municipal Building.


Download TIFF
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (1899)

U.S. Post Office, Court House, and Custom House (1901; n.d.)
Completed in 1899.
Supervising Architect: Willoughby J. Edbrooke
Extension completed in 1941.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin met here until that court was abolished in 1912.


Download TIFF
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (1899)

U.S. Post Office, Court House, and Custom House (1901; n.d.)
Completed in 1899.
Supervising Architect: Willoughby J. Edbrooke
Extension completed in 1941.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin met here until that court was abolished in 1912.


Download TIFF
Oshkosh, Wisconsin (1890)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1890)
Completed in 1890.
Architect: William Waters
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin met here until 1907; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin met here until 1907.
Razed in 1939.


Download TIFF
Superior, Wisconsin (1908)

U.S. Post Office, Court House, and Custom House (1908)
Completed in 1908.
Architect: Barber & Barber
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Wisconsin met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now privately owned.


Download TIFF
Wausau, Wisconsin (1938)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1938)
Completed in 1938.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin met here until 2000.
Now owned by the city.


Download TIFF
Casper, Wyoming (1932)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1932)
Completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming.
Renamed the Ewing T. Kerr Federal Building and United States Courthouse in 1992.


Download TIFF
Cheyenne, Wyoming (1905)

Public Building (n.d., ca. 1905)
Completed in 1905.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming met here until 1933; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Wyoming met here until that court was abolished in 1912; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit met here until 1933.
Razed ca. 1966.


Download TIFF
Cheyenne, Wyoming (1933)

Federal Office Building (n.d., ca. 1933)
Completed in 1933.
Architect: William Dubois
The U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming met here until 1965.
Still in use by various federal agencies.


Download TIFF
Evanston, Wyoming (1908)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1908)
Completed in 1908.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming met here until ca. 1980; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Wyoming met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Lander, Wyoming (1912)

U.S. Post Office (1921)
Completed in 1912.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming met here until the early 1990s.
Now privately owned.


Download TIFF
Sheridan, Wyoming (1910)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1910)
Completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming beginning in 1924.
Now privately owned.

Pages