You are here

Historic Federal Courthouses

Descriptions

Displaying 151 - 200 of 581

Download TIFF
Cedar Rapids, Iowa (1933)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1940)
Completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa met here from 1933 until 2008.


Download TIFF
Council Bluffs, Iowa (1888)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900; n.d., ca. 1933)
Completed in 1888.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
Extension completed in 1933
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Iowa met here from 1896 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Fate of building unknown.


Download TIFF
Council Bluffs, Iowa (1888)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900; n.d., ca. 1933)
Completed in 1888.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
Extension completed in 1933
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Iowa met here from 1896 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Fate of building unknown.


Download TIFF
Council Bluffs, Iowa (1959)

United States Post Office and Courthouse (1959)
Completed in 1959.
Architects: Brooks-Borg & Robert C. Robinson
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Creston, Iowa (1903)

United States Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca., 1903)
Completed in 1903.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa; U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Iowa met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now owned by the state.


Download TIFF
Davenport, Iowa (1896)

U.S. Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1896.
Supervising Architect: Willoughby J. Edbrooke
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa met here from 1904 until 1932; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Iowa met here from 1904 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1932.


Download TIFF
Davenport, Iowa (1933)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1933)
Completed in 1933.
Architect: Seth J. Temple
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa.


Download TIFF
Des Moines, Iowa (1871)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1910)
Completed in 1871.
Supervising Architect: Alfred B. Mullett
The U.S. District Court for the District of Iowa met here until the creation of the Southern District in 1882; the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa met here from 1882 until 1929; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Iowa met here until the creation of the Southern District in 1882; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Iowa met here from 1882 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1968.


Download TIFF
Des Moines, Iowa (1929)

U.S. Court House (1929)
Completed in 1929.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa.


Download TIFF
Dubuque, Iowa (1866)

U.S. Custom House and Post Office (1901; n.d., ca. 1902)
Completed in 1866.
Supervising Architects: Ammi B. Young and Isaiah Rogers
Extension completed in 1902.
Supervising Architect of extension: John Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the District of Iowa met here until the creation of the Northern District in 1882; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa met here from 1882 until 1934; U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Iowa met here from 1880 until the creation of the Northern District in 1882; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Iowa met here from 1882 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Sold in 1941.


Download TIFF
Dubuque, Iowa (1866)

U.S. Custom House and Post Office (1901; n.d., ca. 1902)
Completed in 1866.
Supervising Architects: Ammi B. Young and Isaiah Rogers
Extension completed in 1902.
Supervising Architect of extension: John Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the District of Iowa met here until the creation of the Northern District in 1882; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa met here from 1882 until 1934; U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Iowa met here from 1880 until the creation of the Northern District in 1882; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Iowa met here from 1882 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Sold in 1941.


Download TIFF
Dubuque, Iowa (1934)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1934)
Completed in 1934.
Architects: Proudfoot, Rawson, Souers, & Thomas; Herbert A. Kennison.
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa.
Now in use by various federal agencies.


Download TIFF
Fort Dodge, Iowa (1895)

U.S. Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1895.
Supervising Architect: Willoughby J. Edbrooke
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa met here until 1911; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Iowa met here until 1911.
Fate of building unknown.


Download TIFF
Fort Dodge, Iowa (1911)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1911)
Completed in 1911.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa.
Fate of building unknown.


Download TIFF
Keokuk, Iowa (1890)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1890.
Supervising Architects: Mifflin E. Bell and Will. A. Freret
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa met here until 1957; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Iowa met here from 1896 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now the Lee County Courthouse.


Download TIFF
Mason City, Iowa (1932)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1932)
Completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Ottumwa, Iowa (1912)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1912)
Completed in 1912.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa.
Now Ottumwa City Hall.


Download TIFF
Sioux City, Iowa (1897)

U.S. Court House, Post Office, and Custom House (1899)
Completed in 1897.
Supervising Architects: Jeremiah O'Rourke and William Martin Aiken
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa met here until 1932; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Iowa met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Partially demolished in 1995, but remnants incorporated in the new city hall.


Download TIFF
Sioux City, Iowa (1934)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1934)
Completed in 1934.
Architect: Beuttler & Arnold
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa.


Download TIFF
Waterloo, Iowa (1905)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1937)
Completed in 1905.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa met here from 1912 until 1937.
Razed in 1937.


Download TIFF
Waterloo, Iowa (1938)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1938)
Completed in 1938.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa.
Now the Waterloo Public Library.


Download TIFF
Fort Scott, Kansas (1890)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1890)
Completed in 1890.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas met here until 1936; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Kansas met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed between 1946 and 1950.


Download TIFF
Fort Scott, Kansas (1936)

United States Post Office and Court House (1936)
Completed in 1936.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
Still in use as a U.S. post office.


Download TIFF
Kansas City, Kansas (1902)

U.S. Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1902.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas met here from 1903 until 1959; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Kansas met here from 1903 until that court was abolished in 1912; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit met here from 1948 until 1959.
Razed in 1962.


Download TIFF
Kansas City, Kansas (1959)

Federal Building (1959)
Completed in 1959.
Architects: Radotinsky, Meyn & Deardorff
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit met here until 1994.
Now in use by Wyandotte County.
Renamed the Wyandotte County Court Services Building in early 1990s.


Download TIFF
Leavenworth, Kansas (1890)

U.S. Court House, Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1890.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas met here until 1959; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Kansas met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed ca. 1959.


Download TIFF
Leavenworth, Kansas (1959)

U.S. Post Office and Court House
Completed 1959.
Still in use as a U.S. post office.


Download TIFF
Salina, Kansas (1896)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1914)
Completed in 1896.
Supervising Architect: Will. A. Freret
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas met here until 1938.
Razed in 1962.


Download TIFF
Salina, Kansas (1938)

U.S. Post Office and Federal Building (n.d., ca. 1989)
Completed in 1938.
Architect: Carl C. Mose
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas met here beginning in 1938.
Now the Smoky Hill Museum.


Download TIFF
Topeka, Kansas (1884)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1915)
Completed in 1884.
Supervising Architect: James G. Hill
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas met here until 1932; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Kansas met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1933.


Download TIFF
Topeka, Kansas (1933)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1934)
Completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas met here until 1977.
Still in use as a U.S. post office.


Download TIFF
Wichita, Kansas (1890)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1910)
Completed in 1890.
Supervising Architect: Will. A. Freret
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas met here until 1932; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Kansas met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1937.


Download TIFF
Wichita, Kansas (1932)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1932)
Completed in 1932.
Architect: Louis A. Simon
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas.


Download TIFF
Bowling Green, Kentucky (1912)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1941)
Completed in 1912.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1941.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky.
Renamed the William H. Natcher Federal Building and United States Courthouse in 1994.


Download TIFF
Catlettsburg, Kentucky (1911)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1918)
Completed in 1911.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky met here until the late 1980s.
Now privately owned.


Download TIFF
Covington, Kentucky (1879)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1900)
Completed in 1879.
Supervising Architects: William Appleton Potter and James G. Hill
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kentucky met here until the creation of the Eastern District in 1901; the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky met here from 1901 until 1941; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Kentucky met here until the creation of the Eastern District in 1901; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky met here from 1901 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1967.


Download TIFF
Covington, Kentucky (1941)

United States Post Office and Court House (1941)
Completed in 1941.
Architect: Thomas Harlan Ellett
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky met here until 1999.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Frankfort, Kentucky (1887)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1887.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kentucky met here until the creation of the Eastern District in 1901; building used by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky beginning in 1901; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Kentucky met here until the creation of the Eastern District in 1901; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky met here from 1901 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now in use as a public library.


Download TIFF
Jackson, Kentucky (1916)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1916)
Completed in 1916.
Supervising Architects: James Knox Taylor and Oscar Wenderoth
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky beginning in 1916.
Now in use by the Breathitt County Health Department.


Download TIFF
Lexington, Kentucky (1934)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1934)
Completed in 1934.
Architects: H.A. Churchill and John P. Gillig
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky.


Download TIFF
London, Kentucky (1911)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1919)
Completed in 1911.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky.


Download TIFF
Louisville, Kentucky (1893)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1891)
Completed in 1893.
Supervising Architects: Mifflin E. Bell, Will. A. Freret, James H. Windrim, and Willoughby J. Edbrooke
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kentucky met here until the creation of the Western District in 1901; the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky met here from 1901 until 1932; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Kentucky met here until the creation of the Western District in 1901; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Kentucky met here from 1901 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1943.


Download TIFF
Louisville, Kentucky (1932)

U.S. Post Office, Court House, and Custom House (1938)
Completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky.
Renamed the Gene Snyder United States Courthouse and Customhouse in 1986.


Download TIFF
Owensboro, Kentucky (1889)

U.S. Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1889.
Supervising Architect: Will. A. Freret
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kentucky met here until the creation of the Western District in 1901; the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky met here from 1901 until 1911; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Kentucky met here until the creation of the Western District in 1901; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Kentucky met here from 1901 until 1911.
Sold to the Messenger Publishing Co. in 1914 and later razed.


Download TIFF
Owensboro, Kentucky (1911)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1911)
Completed in 1911.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky.


Download TIFF
Paducah, Kentucky (1883)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1900; n.d., ca. 1911)
Completed in 1883.
Supervising Architect: James G. Hill
Extension completed in 1911.
Supervising Architect of extension: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kentucky met here until the creation of the Western District in 1901; the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky met here from 1901 until 1938; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Kentucky met here until the creation of the Western District in 1901; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Kentucky met here from 1901 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in the 1930s.


Download TIFF
Paducah, Kentucky (1883)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1900; n.d., ca. 1911)
Completed in 1883.
Supervising Architect: James G. Hill
Extension completed in 1911.
Supervising Architect of extension: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the District of Kentucky met here until the creation of the Western District in 1901; the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky met here from 1901 until 1938; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Kentucky met here until the creation of the Western District in 1901; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Western District of Kentucky met here from 1901 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in the 1930s.


Download TIFF
Paducah, Kentucky (1938)

United States Post Office and Court House (1938)
Completed in 1938.
Architect: Harry B. Carter
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky.


Download TIFF
Pikeville, Kentucky (1932)

United States Court House (1941)
Completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky.


Download TIFF
Richmond, Kentucky (1897)

U.S. Post Office (1896)
Completed in 1897.
Supervising Architects: Willoughby J. Edbrooke and William Martin Aiken
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky beginning in 1901; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky met here from 1901 until that court was abolished in 1912.

Pages