You are here

Historic Federal Courthouses

Descriptions

Displaying 101 - 150 of 581

Download TIFF
Augusta, Georgia (1916)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1940)
Completed in 1916.
Supervising Architect: Oscar Wenderoth
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia.


Download TIFF
Brunswick, Georgia (1959)

Federal Building (1959)
Completed in 1959.
Architect: Abreu & Robeson
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia.
Renamed the Frank M. Scarlett Federal Building in 1975.


Download TIFF
Columbus, Georgia (1899)

U.S. Post Office (1896)
Completed in 1899.
Supervising Architects: Willoughby J. Edbrooke and Charles E. Kemper
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia met here from 1896, prior to completion, until the creation of the Middle District in 1926; the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia met here from 1926 until 1934; U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Georgia met here from 1896, prior to completion, until that court was abolished in 1912.
Sold in 1934 and razed in the 1950s.


Download TIFF
Columbus, Georgia (1934)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1934)
Completed in 1934.
Architects: Edwards & Sayward; E. Oren Smith
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia.


Download TIFF
Dublin, Georgia (1937)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1936)
Completed in 1937.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia.
Renamed the J. Roy Rowland United States Courthouse in 1997.


Download TIFF
Gainesville, Georgia (1910)

U.S. Post Office (1936)
Completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1936.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, which began meeting here in 1913.
Renamed the Sidney Oslin Smith, Jr. Federal Building and United States Courthouse in 2016.


Download TIFF
Macon, Georgia (1889)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1889.
Supervising Architects: Mifflin E. Bell and Will. A. Freret
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia met here until 1906; U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Georgia met here until 1906.
Razed in 1906.


Download TIFF
Macon, Georgia (1908)

Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse (1934)
Completed in 1908.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia; the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia met here until the creation of the Middle District in 1926; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Georgia met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Renamed the William Augustus Bootle Federal Building and United States Courthouse in 1998.


Download TIFF
Rome, Georgia (1896)

U.S. Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1896.
Architect: Bruce & Morgan
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia met here from 1900 until 1974; U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Georgia met here from 1900 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now in use by Floyd County.


Download TIFF
Savannah, Georgia (1852)

U.S. Customhouse (1974)
Completed in 1852.
Architect: John S. Norris
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia met here until 1899.
Still in use as a custom house.


Download TIFF
Savannah, Georgia (1899)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1901; 1932)
Completed in 1899.
Supervising Architect: Jeremiah O'Rourke
Extension completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia.
Renamed the Tomochichi United States Courthouse in 2005.


Download TIFF
Savannah, Georgia (1899)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1901; 1932)
Completed in 1899.
Supervising Architect: Jeremiah O'Rourke
Extension completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia.
Renamed the Tomochichi United States Courthouse in 2005.


Download TIFF
Waycross, Georgia (1913)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1935)
Completed in 1913.
Architect: Lucius D. Allen
Extension completed in 1935.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia met here from 1926 until 1975.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, but currently vacant.


Download TIFF
Honolulu, Hawaii (1922)

U.S. Post Office, Court House, and Custom House (1931)
Completed in 1922.
Architect: York & Sawyer
The U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii met here from 1959 until 1978.
Now occupied by state government offices and renamed the King Kalakaua Building in 2003.


Download TIFF
Boise, Idaho (1905)

U.S. Post Office (1931)
Completed in 1905.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1930.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Idaho met here until that court was abolished in 1912.


Download TIFF
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (1928)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1928)
Completed in 1928.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho met here from 1928 until 2009.


Download TIFF
Moscow, Idaho (1911)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1911)
Completed in 1911.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho.
Now Moscow City Hall.


Download TIFF
Pocatello, Idaho (1916)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1911)
Completed in 1916.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho.
Fate of building unknown.


Download TIFF
Benton, Illinois (1959)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1959)
Completed in 1959.
Architect: Foley, Hackler, Thompson & Lee
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois; the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Illinois met here until the 1978 reorganization of the Illinois judicial districts.


Download TIFF
Cairo, Illinois (1872)

U.S. Custom House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1872.
Supervising Architect: Alfred B. Mullett
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois met here until 1905; the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Illinois met here from 1905 until 1942; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Illinois met here from 1905 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now the Cairo Custom House Museum.


Download TIFF
Cairo, Illinois (1942)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1942)
Completed in 1942.
Supervising Architects: Louis A. Simon and George Howe
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois; the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Illinois met here until the 1978 reorganization of the Illinois judicial districts.


Download TIFF
Chicago, Illinois (1880)

U.S. Custom House, Court House, and Post Office (1877)
Completed in 1880.
Supervising Architect: James G. Hill
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois met here from 1879 until 1894; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Illinois met here from 1879 until 1894; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit met here from 1891 until 1894.
Razed in 1896.


Download TIFF
Chicago, Illinois (1905)

U.S. Courthouse (1961)
Completed in 1905.
Architect: Henry Ives Cobb
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Illinois met here until that court was abolished in 1912; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit met here until 1938.
Razed ca. 1965.


Download TIFF
Chicago, Illinois (1938)

U.S. Appellate Court Building (1938)
Completed in 1938.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit met here until 1965.
Fate of building unknown.


Download TIFF
Danville, Illinois (1894)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1901)
Completed in 1894.
Supervising Architect: Willoughby J. Edbrooke
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois met here until the creation of the Eastern District in 1905; the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Illinois met here from 1905 until 1911; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Illinois met here until the creation of the Eastern District in 1905; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Illinois met here from 1905 until 1911.
Razed in 1921 or 1922.


Download TIFF
Danville, Illinois (1911)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1910)
Completed in 1911.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of Illinois; the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Illinois met here until the creation of the Central District in 1978; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Illinois met here until that court was abolished in 1912.


Download TIFF
East Saint Louis, Illinois (1910)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1918)
Completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois; the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Illinois met here until the 1978 reorganization of the Illinois judicial districts; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Illinois met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Renamed the Melvin Price Federal Building and United States Courthouse in 1990.


Download TIFF
Freeport, Illinois (1905)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1905; 1932)
Completed in 1905.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois met here until 1977; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Illinois met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Freeport, Illinois (1905)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1905; 1932)
Completed in 1905.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1932.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois met here until 1977; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Illinois met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Peoria, Illinois (1889)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1889)
Completed in 1889.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell and Will. A. Freret
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois met here until the 1905 reorganization of the Illinois judicial districts; the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois met here from 1905 until 1937; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Illinois met here until the 1905 reorganization of the Illinois judicial districts; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Illinois met here from 1905 until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1937.


Download TIFF
Peoria, Illinois (1938)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1938)
Completed in 1938.
Architect: Howard Lovewell Cheney
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois; the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois met here until the creation of the Central District in 1978.


Download TIFF
Quincy, Illinois (1887)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1901; 1937)
Completed in 1887.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
Extension completed in 1937.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois met here from 1888 until the creation of the Central District in 1978; building used by the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois beginning in 1978; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Illinois met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Quincy, Illinois (1887)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1901; 1937)
Completed in 1887.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
Extension completed in 1937.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois met here from 1888 until the creation of the Central District in 1978; building used by the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois beginning in 1978; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Illinois met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Rock Island, Illinois (1957)

United States Post Office and Courthouse (1957)
Completed in 1957.
Architects: William Stuhr, J. Fletcher Lankton, John N. Ziegele, and Associates
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois; the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois met here until the creation of the Central District in 1978; the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa met here from 2003 until 2006.


Download TIFF
Springfield, Illinois (1869)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1869.
Supervising Architect: Alfred B. Mullett
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois met here until 1929; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Illinois met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1929.


Download TIFF
Springfield, Illinois (1930)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1930)
Completed in 1930.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois; the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois met here until the creation of the Central District in 1978.
Renamed the Paul Findley Building in 1983.


Download TIFF
Evansville, Indiana (1879)

U.S. Custom House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1914)
Completed in 1879.
Supervising Architects: William Appleton Potter and James G. Hill
The U.S. District Court for the District of Indiana met here until the creation of the Southern District in 1928; the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana met here from 1928 until 1969; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Indiana met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now privately owned.


Download TIFF
Fort Wayne, Indiana (1889)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1889.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
The U.S. District Court for the District of Indiana met here until the creation of the Northern District in 1928; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana met here from 1928 until 1932; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Indiana met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in the 1930s.


Download TIFF
Fort Wayne, Indiana (1932)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1932)
Completed in 1932.
Architects: Benjamin Morris and Guy Mahurin
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana.
Renamed the E. Ross Adair Federal Building and United States Courthouse in 2000.


Download TIFF
Hammond, Indiana (1907)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1907; 1941)
Completed in 1907.
Architect: Joseph T. Hutton
Extension completed in 1941; incorporated portions of 1907 building.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the District of Indiana met here until the creation of the Northern District in 1928; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana met here from 1928 until 2002; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Indiana met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Still standing but not presently in use.


Download TIFF
Hammond, Indiana (1907)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1907; 1941)
Completed in 1907.
Architect: Joseph T. Hutton
Extension completed in 1941; incorporated portions of 1907 building.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the District of Indiana met here until the creation of the Northern District in 1928; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana met here from 1928 until 2002; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Indiana met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Still standing but not presently in use.


Download TIFF
Indianapolis, Indiana (1861)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1861.
Supervising Architect: Ammi B. Young
The U.S. District Court for the District of Indiana met here until 1905; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Indiana met here until 1905.
Razed in 1963.


Download TIFF
Indianapolis, Indiana (1905)

United States Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1938)
Completed in 1905.
Architects: John Hall Rankin and Thomas W. Kellogg
Extension completed in 1938.
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana; the U.S. District Court for the District of Indiana met here until the creation of the Southern District in 1928; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Indiana met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Renamed the Birch Bayh Federal Building and United States Courthouse in 2003.


Download TIFF
Lafayette, Indiana (1931)

Charles A. Halleck Federal Building (1983)
Completed in 1931.
Architect: Walter Scholer
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana.


Download TIFF
New Albany, Indiana (1888)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1888.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
The U.S. District Court for the District of Indiana met here until the creation of the Southern District in 1928; the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana met here from 1928 until 1966; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Indiana met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Building razed.


Download TIFF
New Albany, Indiana (1966)

U.S. Court House and Federal Office Building (1966)
Completed in 1966.
Architect: Walker, Applegate, Oakes & Ritz
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana.
Renamed the Lee H. Hamilton Federal Building and United States Courthouse in 2001.


Download TIFF
South Bend, Indiana (1933)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1933)
Completed in 1933.
Architect: N. Roy Shambleau
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana.
Renamed the Robert A. Grant Federal Building and United States Courthouse in 1992.


Download TIFF
Terre Haute, Indiana (1935)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1935)
Completed in 1935.
Architect: Miller & Yeager
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana.


Download TIFF
Cedar Rapids, Iowa (1895)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1900)
Completed in 1895.
Supervising Architects: Willoughby J. Edbrooke and Jeremiah O'Rourke
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa met here until 1908; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Iowa met here until 1908.
Razed in 1908.


Download TIFF
Cedar Rapids, Iowa (1910)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1909)
Completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa met here until 1933; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Iowa met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now owned by Linn County and renamed the Witwer Building.

Pages