You are here

Historic Federal Courthouses

Descriptions

Displaying 51 - 100 of 581

Download TIFF
San Diego, California (1913)

U.S. Post Office and Custom House (1940)
Completed in 1913.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of California.
Renamed the Jacob Weinberger United States Courthouse in 1986.


Download TIFF
San Francisco, California (1881)

Appraiser's Store (n.d., ca. 1878)
Completed in 1881.
Supervising Architect: James G. Hill
The U.S. District Court for the District of California met here from 1879, prior to completion, until the creation of the Northern District in 1886; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California met here from 1886 until 1905; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of California met here from 1879, prior to completion, until the creation of the Northern District in 1886; the U.S. Circuit Court of the Northern District of California met here from 1886 until 1905; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit met here from 1891 until 1905.
Razed in 1940.


Download TIFF
San Francisco, California (1905)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1905)
Completed in 1905.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California met here until 1962; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of California met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Renamed the U.S. Court of Appeals Building for the Ninth Circuit in 1996.


Download TIFF
Denver, Colorado (1892)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1892.
Supervising Architects: Mifflin E. Bell and Will. A. Freret
The U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado met here until 1916; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Colorado met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in the early 1960s.


Download TIFF
Denver, Colorado (1916)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1916)
Completed in 1916.
Architect: Tracy, Swartwout, & Litchfield
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit met here until Colorado became part of the Tenth Circuit in 1929.
Renamed the Byron White United States Courthouse in 1994.


Download TIFF
Durango, Colorado (1929)

U.S. Post Office (1929)
Completed in 1929.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado.
Fate of building unknown.


Download TIFF
Grand Junction, Colorado (1918)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1918; 1940)
Completed in 1918.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Extension completed: 1938
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado.
Renamed the Wayne N. Aspinall Federal Building in 1972.


Download TIFF
Grand Junction, Colorado (1918)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1918; 1940)
Completed in 1918.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Extension completed: 1938
Supervising Architect of extension: Louis A. Simon
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado.
Renamed the Wayne N. Aspinall Federal Building in 1972.


Download TIFF
Pueblo, Colorado (1898)

U.S. Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1898.
Supervising Architect: William Martin Aiken
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Colorado met here until that court was abolished in 1912.


Download TIFF
Sterling, Colorado (1931)

U.S. Post Office and Land Office (1931)
Completed in 1931.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado.


Download TIFF
Hartford, Connecticut (1882)

U.S. Post Office and Customhouse (1903)
Completed in 1882.
Supervising Architect: Alfred B. Mullet
The U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut met here until 1933; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Connecticut met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1934.


Download TIFF
Hartford, Connecticut (1933)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1933)
Completed in 1933.
Architect: Malmfeldt, Adams & Prentice
The U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut met here until 1963.
Renamed the William R. Cotter Federal Building in 1982.


Download TIFF
Hartford, Connecticut (1963)

U.S. Courthouse and Federal Building (1963)
Completed in 1963.
Architect: Prentice & Frid
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut.
Renamed the Abraham A. Ribicoff Federal Building in 1980.


Download TIFF
New Haven, Connecticut (1860)

U.S. Custom House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1860.
Supervising Architect: Ammi B. Young
The U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut met here until 1917; the Circuit Court for the District of Connecticut met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Sold in 1917 and later razed.


Download TIFF
New Haven, Connecticut (1919)

New Haven U. S. Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1995)
Completed in 1919.
Architect: James Gamble Rogers
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut.


Download TIFF
New Castle, Delaware (1731)

Old Court House (2002)
Completed in 1731.
Architect: unknown
The U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware met here from 1789 until 1881; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Delaware met here from 1789 until 1881.
Now in use as a museum, mayoral office, and shops.


Download TIFF
Wilmington, Delaware (1855)

U.S. Custom House (1901)
Completed in 1855.
Supervising Architect: Ammi B. Young
The U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware met here from 1856 until 1897; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Delaware met here until 1897.
Now owned by Wilmington College.


Download TIFF
Wilmington, Delaware (1897)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1897)
Completed in 1897.
Supervising Architects: Willoughby J. Edbrooke and William Martin Aiken
The U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware met here until 1937; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Delaware met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Sold in 1940.


Download TIFF
Wilmington, Delaware (1937)

U.S. Post Office, Court House, and Custom House (1937)
Completed in 1937.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware met here until 1973.
Now privately owned.


Download TIFF
Washington, District of Columbia (1849)

City Hall (n.d., ca. 1916)
Completed in 1849 (third phase).
Architect: George Hadfield
The Circuit Court of the District of Columbia met here from 1823 until that court was abolished in 1863; the Supreme Court of the District of Columbia met here from 1863 until 1936; the District Court of the United States for the District of Columbia met here from 1936 until 1948; the United States District Court for the District of Columbia met here from 1948 until 1952; the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia met here from 1893 until 1910.
Now in use by local government.


Download TIFF
Washington, District of Columbia (1935)

Supreme Court of the United States (n.d., ca. 1935)
Completed in 1935.
Architect: Cass Gilbert
Still in use by the Supreme Court of the United States.


Download TIFF
Washington, District of Columbia (1952)

U.S. Court House for the District of Columbia (1952)
Completed in 1952.
Architect: Louis Justement
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
Renamed the E. Barrett Prettyman United States Courthouse in 1996.


Download TIFF
Fernandina, Florida (1912)

U.S. Post Office, Custom House, and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1912)
Completed in 1912.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida met here until the creation of the Middle District in 1962; building used by the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida beginning in 1962.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Fort Myers, Florida (1933)

Federal Building (1990)
Completed in 1933.
Architect: Nathaniel Gaillard Walker
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida; the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida met here from 1952 until the creation of the Middle District in 1962.


Download TIFF
Fort Pierce, Florida (1935)

U.S. Post Office (2002)
Completed in 1935.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Gainesville, Florida (1911)

Federal Building (1979)
Completed in 1911.
Architect: Thomas Ryerson
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida met here until 1964.
Now in use as the Hippodrome State Theatre.


Download TIFF
Gainesville, Florida (1964)

Federal Building (1964)
Completed in 1964.
Architect: Reynolds, Smith & Lee
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida.


Download TIFF
Jacksonville, Florida (1895)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1900)
Completed in 1895.
Supervising Architects: Will. A. Freret and James H. Windrim
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida met here until 1933; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Florida met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1948.


Download TIFF
Jacksonville, Florida (1933)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1936)
Completed in 1933.
Architect: Marsh & Saxelbye
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida met here until the creation of the Middle District in 1962; the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida met here from 1962 until 2003; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit met here from 1948 until 1981.
Now owned by the city.


Download TIFF
Key West, Florida (1891)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1891.
Architect: William Kerr
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida met here until 1932.
Transferred to the U.S. Navy in 1932. Now used by the Museum of Art & History at the Custom House.


Download TIFF
Key West, Florida (1933)

U.S. Post Office, Custom House, and Courthouse (1932)
Completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Renamed the Sidney M. Aronovitz United States Courthouse in 2009.


Download TIFF
Marianna, Florida (1928)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1928)
Completed in 1928.
Supervising Architect: James A. Wetmore
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida.
Fate of building unknown.


Download TIFF
Miami, Florida (1914)

U.S. Post Office, Courthouse, and Customhouse (1914)
Completed in 1914.
Supervising Architect: Oscar Wenderoth
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida met here until 1932.
Now privately owned.


Download TIFF
Miami, Florida (1933)

U.S. Post Office, Court House, and Custom House (1933)
Completed in 1933.
Architects: Phineas E. Paist and Harold D. Steward
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Renamed the David W. Dyer Federal Building and United States Courthouse in 1997.


Download TIFF
Ocala, Florida (1909)

Post Office and Courthouse (1910)
Completed in 1909.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida met here until 1956; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Florida met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed ca. 1956.


Download TIFF
Orlando, Florida (1941)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1941)
Completed in 1941.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida met here until the creation of the Middle District in 1962; the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida met here from 1962 until 1974.
Still in use as a post office.


Download TIFF
Pensacola, Florida (1887)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1890)
Completed in 1887.
Supervising Architect: Mifflin E. Bell
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida met here until 1939; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Florida met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now the Escambia County Courthouse.


Download TIFF
Pensacola, Florida (1939)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1939)
Completed in 1939.
Architect: Rudolph Stanley-Brown
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida.
Renamed the Winston E. Arnow Federal Building in 2010.


Download TIFF
Saint Augustine, Florida (ca. 1603)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901)
Original building from the Spanish colonial period.
The U.S. District Court for the District of Florida met here from 1845 until 1847; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida met here from 1847 until 1868.
Now the Government House Museum.


Download TIFF
Tallahassee, Florida (1895)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (n.d., ca. 1895)
Completed in 1895.
Supervising Architects: Willoughby J. Edbrooke and Jeremiah O'Rourke
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida met here until 1936; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Florida met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Razed in 1964.


Download TIFF
Tallahassee, Florida (1936)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1937)
Completed in 1936.
Architect: Eric Kebbon
Still in use by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Florida.


Download TIFF
Tampa, Florida (1905)

U.S. Courthouse, Post Office, and Custom House (1918)
Completed in 1905.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida met here until the creation of the Middle District in 1962; the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida met here from 1962 until 1998; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Florida met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Undergoing redevelopment as a hotel as of 2013.


Download TIFF
Albany, Georgia (1912)

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (n.d., ca. 1912)
Completed in 1912.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia; the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia met here until the creation of the Middle District in 1926.


Download TIFF
Americus, Georgia (1910)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1910; 1933)
Completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia beginning in 1926.
Now Americus City Hall.


Download TIFF
Americus, Georgia (1910)

U.S. Post Office (n.d., ca. 1910; 1933)
Completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Extension completed in 1933.
Supervising Architect of extension: James A. Wetmore
Building used by the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia beginning in 1926.
Now Americus City Hall.


Download TIFF
Athens, Georgia (1906)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (n.d., ca. 1906)
Completed in 1906.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia met here until the creation of the Middle District in 1926; the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia met here from 1926 until 1942; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Georgia met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Now privately owned.


Download TIFF
Athens, Georgia (1942)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1942)
Completed in 1942.
Supervising Architect: Louis A. Simon
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia.


Download TIFF
Atlanta, Georgia (1880)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1901)
Completed in 1880.
Supervising Architect: James G. Hill
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia met here until 1910; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Georgia met here until 1910; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit met here from 1902 until 1910.
Sold to city in 1910, used as city hall, and later razed.


Download TIFF
Atlanta, Georgia (1910)

U.S. Post Office and Court House (1910)
Completed in 1910.
Supervising Architect: James Knox Taylor
Still in use by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia met here until 1979; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Georgia met here until that court was abolished in 1912; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit met here until the creation of the Eleventh Circuit in 1981.
Renamed the Elbert P. Tuttle United States Court of Appeals Building in 1989.


Download TIFF
Augusta, Georgia (1890)

U.S. Court House and Post Office (1900)
Completed in 1890.
Supervising Architect: Will. A. Freret
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia met here until 1916; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Georgia met here until that court was abolished in 1912.
Sold to city in 1916.

Pages