You are here

Historic Federal Courthouses

Richmond, Virginia (1858)

U.S. Custom House and Post Office (1901; 1956)
Completed in 1858.
Supervising Architect: Ammi B. Young
Extensions completed in 1889, 1912, and 1932.
Supervising Architects of extensions: Mifflin E. Bell, James Knox Taylor, and James A. Wetmore
Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, which met here until the reorganization of the Virginia judicial districts in 1864, and began meeting here again in 1871; the U.S. District Court for the District of Virginia met here from 1864 until the creation of the Eastern District in 1871; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Virginia met here until the reorganization of the Virginia judicial districts in 1864, and met here again from 1871 until that court was abolished in 1912; the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Virginia met here from 1864 until the creation of the Eastern District in 1871; still in use by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, which began meeting here in 1891.
Renamed the Lewis F. Powell, Jr., United States Courthouse in 1993.

Source: 
U.S. Treasury Department, A History of Public Buildings (Washington, D.C.: GPO, 1901): 610-11.
Higher Resolution: 
Source: 
National Archives, RG 121-BS, Box 91, Folder U, Print 10
Higher Resolution: